Taking your children to dental checkups helps ensure a healthy mouth and a healthy attitude towards dentists as the majority of children hates dental visits. This will also help them develop a lifestyle that would still be beneficial to them until adulthood. It is important to start teaching our kids good dental practices while they’re young. They get distracted easily, thus making oral hygiene maintenance challenging both for you and your child. On your child’s first birthday, a good rule of thumb to follow is to take him/her to a kids dentist Port St Lucie. Dentists specializing in oral care for infants and children through adolescence are called pediatric dentists.
Prevention is Better Than Cure
Pediatric practitioners also focus on preventive care to ensure your kids a lifetime of good dental health. They can also give you advice and teach your children about the importance of developing healthy habits, like flossing and brushing twice daily. Dentists specializing in young children’s oral health care will also have the latest information on preventative treatments such as topical fluoride treatments, as they are designed specifically for children.
Comprehensive Oral Care for Children
Children are more vulnerable to dental problems such as dental caries or tooth decay since they may not fully understand how skipping dental checkups or not brushing their teeth can affect them. When you take them to a pediatric dentist, they will be provided comprehensive oral care services such as:
- Oral health exams including risk assessment for caries for mother and child
- Preventive dental care procedure such as dental cleaning and fluoride treatments, as well as diet recommendations
- Habit counseling especially for children (thumbsucking, pacifier use)
- Repair of tooth defects or cavities
- Diagnosis of oral conditions associated with diseases such as hay fever, asthma, ADHD, diabetes, and a congenital heart defect
- Managing gum disease and mouth conditions including pediatric periodontal disease, ulcers, and mucoceles
- Dental injuries (knocked-out tooth, displaced, or fractured tooth)
Looking for a Kids Dentist Port St Lucie?
Children are not always cooperative and patient during dental exams. Our kids dentist Port St Lucie at All Smiles Family Dentistry know how to treat and examine children in ways that are comfortable to them. Scheduling an appointment with us today to learn more about our pediatric dental services.